Monday, 29 November 2010

Kiss My Shrinking Ass!

I THINK I'm ready to move onto week 2 of C25K.  I've done week 1 three times now over the last 9 days at a 1(%?) incline as suggested, and today it was pretty comfortable.  There are some days where I have to constantly convince myself to keep going during a workout.  Some days it's still miserable and all I want to do is quit.  Luckily though, the more exercise I do, the more reasons I have to keep going- so it's not often that I give up on a workout anymore.  But, some days are still better than others.  Anyway, today's C25K was almost over before I started watching the clock...so I s'pose I'd better move to week 2.

I'm a little nervous though.  Just like I was nervous to start the program to begin with.  Just like I am nervous when I try just about any new kind of activity.  Failing about 75% of the time for the past 26 years at exercise-related activities does not make it easy to feel confident in this area.  Yes, for the past year, I've managed to bring my average up a bit, it's true.  And that is how I know that it's mostly in my mind.  My body really isn't as old and decrepit and useless as the lazy-loving part of my mind would like for me to believe.  I've come to realize that the real effort of activity for me goes into what WW's calls "Self-talk." 

The doubtful talk rolls in pretty quickly when I know I should be pushing harder or switching it up.  It would be so easy for me to get comfortable in an activity, but I know the only way to gain fitness is to continue to push my body (safely) to work harder.  Today lazy-loving brain is saying, "Am I really ready to go harder?  I mean, I feel like this level just got easier!?"  "Can I really run more?"  "Am I still too fat for this?"  "I could hurt myself."  "What if I still have a cold?"  "Next run would be Wednesday.  Why should I push harder in the middle of the week?  I'll have to work all day and then run!  I'll be too tired."  And so you see, some times it's easy to get wrapped up in a defeatist attitude and quit before I even get started.

But this week, I'm not havin' it.  Lazy-lover can kiss my shrinking ass!  This Friday I'm leaving to visit my sister out of state.  Last time I saw her was in January, when I had just started WW and was about 20lbs lost.  I'm really hoping to be able to say I've lost ONE HUNDRED lbs when I see her!  I know 4lbs (3.6, really) is a lot to lose in one week.  But it has been done.  In fact, I've done it before a few times this year.  So, I'm going to continue on 2-a-day workouts this week with my fingers crossed.

Here's a picture of me (left) about 80lbs heavier last January with my sister:


Hope to have lots of good "after" pics to show you! 
Get off yer ass and WORK FOR IT!!
...This has been a See C. Evolve public service announcement. =o)

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm, "Am I still too fat for this?"... I asked myself that quite a bit for the first two or so months of my mission. And then I got nervous that I was using it as an excuse to be conservative about my weight loss. So I pushed it, walked hills vs. flat side walks... jogged when I knew it was going to be awkward and uncomfortable... extended my walks/jogs to miles versus a set amount of time.

    For me, it was true, I was being too conservative. Certainly that does not mean my experience is anyone elses. But the question, "Am I still too fat for this?" is a valid question we need ask ourselves and be honest about answering.

    Nice Blog!

    ReplyDelete

Opinions are like elbows, we all have them! I'd love to see yours! :-)