Tuesday, 23 November 2010

The Story of My...Year

Hello blog world, so nice of you to join me here.  My name is Cole.  I'd tell you my life story, but it doesn't really matter seeing as it's really only in the past year or so that I've managed to figure out ...me.  I think the truth of it is that for the better half of my teenage years and early twenties I was stagnant.  Well, that's not true, I did accomplish meeting my husband, convincing him to marry me, and moving out into the world on our own.  I even managed to pick up a career I love along the way.  But, as far as real, personal growth goes- I really hadn't changed much.  Last Thanksgiving though, almost one year ago, something happened and it all changed. 

Last Thanksgiving I was a pack-a-day smoker, a drive-thru diva, a couch potato...

It must have been some kind of holiday magic that had me sobbing my eyes out over a huge plate of holiday food, adding salt to my gravy while my mountain of mashed potatoes endured a hurricane of tears.  You see, dinner was buffet-style, so I had gone and gotten my food and brought it to the table only to realize that my plate had to be at least three times as full as my healthy weight family members'.  I was just about to make a comment about how I couldn't wait for "seconds" when this realization struck me.  It was that meal that made me understand that while I loved my life, my family, my husband, my job...I did NOT love me.  I was 319lbs of hopeless sorrow and depression with a nasty smokers cough all stuffed into my 5'7" frame.  My voice caught in my throat and what came out instead sounded something like a pooping whale.  And the torrent of tears came forth...

December 6th, 2009 I started Weight Watchers AND quit smoking cold turkey.  I joined the aquatic center and fell in love with water aerobics, then spring came and I fell in love with biking, then fall came and I joined Curves gym.  This week, 93lbs less than I was last Thanksgiving, I began C25k.

I had a weight loss blog before called Phat Nanny...some of you may be following me from there.  But, what I've learned most about this year was not about weight loss, though I know more now that I ever did before.  What I've really learned the most about this past year was...me.  I'm learning that all those things I thought that only certain people could do (maintain a healthy weight and lifestyle) in actuality I can do too.  Not only CAN I do it, but I like doing it.  So that's what I'm gonna keep doing.  I'm going to keep tweaking, changing, tightening my muscles and loosening my grip on the ridiculous case of "I can't" I've been holding on to.  I am going to keep evolving.  So come watch...see C. evolve...you might just find out that you've got some evolving to do too. :)

2 comments:

  1. AAAhhh! I saw your name pop up and couldn't place it, couldn't place it until you said Phat Nanny! I'm so glad you're back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am 67, soon to be 68, my life has been a strugle to lose weight you inspird me to keptrying.

    ReplyDelete

Opinions are like elbows, we all have them! I'd love to see yours! :-)