Thursday, 6 January 2011

Vegetarian Split Pea Soup

"Beans, beans, the musical fruit!
The more you eat, the more you toot!
The more you toot, the better you feel
So let's have beans at every meal!
Beans, beans, they're good for your heart!
The more you eat, the more you fart!
The more you fart, the better you feel,
So let's eat beans with every meal!!"

Okay, so I never actually grew up...but I wouldn't sing it if it weren't true!!

I mentioned to you all that I keep a never ending supply of cooked beans and brown rice in some variation in my fridge at all times.  It's quick to eat, quick to pack, quick to give my body the energy and nutrients it needs to feel healthy, lean, and satisfied!

Lately, I've been on a "16 Bean Stew" kick.  I've probably had a bowl of it just about every day for the past 3 weeks.  I love it, so delicious and aromatic and filling! MMMMmmm!  But, alas, I decided to move on from it to another legume.  When I found this recipe , I knew that my love affair with frijoles was about to reach a whole new level.

I mostly followed the 101 Cookbooks version, but I didn't think the extra oil was necessary.  And I tweaked a few other small things. 

Vegetarian Split Pea Soup

1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
3 small onions, chopped
2 cups dried split green peas, picked over and rinsed
2.5C water
2.5C chicken broth
juice of 1/2 lemon (reserve the zest)
paprika and salt to taste.

1C serving = 6 ProPoints
Recipe serves between 4-6.

1.  Put the oil into a large pot and let it heat up on medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes.  Add chopped onion and saute until softened, about 5 minutes.
2.  While the onion is cooking, pick over and rinse 2 cups of dried split peas.
3.  Add split peas and broth to the pot and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and let simmer 40 minutes.
4.  Remove half to 3/4 of soup (depending on how smooth you want it to be) with a large ladle into a blender or food processor.

5.  Blend soup until smooth.  Then return contents to pot.

6.  Add lemon juice and paprika to taste.  You could easily do this step just before serving, but like I said, I like it REALLY easy- so I went ahead and seasoned the whole pot.

Ummm...so apparently this soup was SO good, that I neglected to take a picture of my serving.  Oh well, you'll just go have to make it yourself and see! :)

3 comments:

  1. OMGoodness! That looks delicious! I could so eat a ton of that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had beans yesterday! :) Yes, they are very filling...yay for that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, thanks for your comment on Bentobloggy.com! I'm following you now.

    How wonderful that you are working so hard on your weight loss, kudos! I've been in the same place, and striving to maintain my 70lb loss in the last 1.5 years. :)

    -Emily
    Bentobloggy.com

    ReplyDelete

Opinions are like elbows, we all have them! I'd love to see yours! :-)