Tuesday, 4 January 2011

Velveeta Baked Spaghetti Squares Variation

Okay, so I'll be honest in telling you that I considered not posting this recipe because of the Velveeta content.  Velveeta is NOT a real food.  It is a ridiculously processed hybrid dairy product that really should not be in any ones diet on a regular basis.  But, I was excited to try it from my new cookbook (who doesn't love a quick casserole recipe?) and I happened to already have 8/9 of the ingredients it called for, which means it's budget friendly!  So I bit the bullet, bought the fake cheese, and went at it!  I'm trusting you as intelligent, health conscious adults not to go overboard on the Velveeta!  In fact, after having made and eaten this recipe, I would recommend cutting back the Velveeta content by 1/3 or so.  Next time, I bet I could get away with 5 oz if I diced it into smaller pieces.

You can find the actual Kraft recipe here.  By now you know that I ALWAYS beat a recipe until unrecognizable edit recipes to suit my diet, my budget, and my taste buds and I encourage you all to do the same! 

Velveeta Baked Spaghetti Squares
1 square = 5 ProPoints
Serves 8

1 bell pepper, diced (I used red)
2 small onions, diced
1/2 C green onion, chopped
1 C mushroom, diced
1/2 C grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
2 eggs
3 egg whites
10 oz whole wheat spaghetti, boiled al dente
8 oz Velveeta Light Reduced Fat 2% Cheese Product (<~~~FAKE FOOD ALERT!!)

Whisk together eggs and egg whites with a splash of water until well blended.

Dump all the ingredients EXCEPT the spaghetti sauce in a large bowl and fold until everything is well incorporated and coated with egg.


Press pasta mixture into a 13x9 inch casserole dish and bake 35 minutes.



Pour spaghetti sauce over the top to evenly coat and cut into 8 squares.



Despite the fake food, which I am now going to research a substitute for, this casserole is VERY good.  Aside from the Velveeta, it's nutritional profile is well balanced with protein from the egg and cheese, whole grains from the pasta, and probably a 1/2 serving of veggies incorporated in each serving.  Plus, it fits into my PlanetBox perfectly!  
=oD

2 comments:

  1. I try to stick to unfake foods, but a little Velveeta never hurt anyone (lol). Actually my husband loves the stuff so I had to come over to see. It looks really good. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My grandma once complained to me that I think a recipe is more of a suggestion instead of something to be followed.

    ReplyDelete

Opinions are like elbows, we all have them! I'd love to see yours! :-)