Monday, 3 January 2011

Whole Wheat Sweet Potato-Cranberry Muffins

I was looking for a way that I could use the left over holiday food in my fridge.  Namely a sweet potato and a bag of cranberries.  And, I wanted it to be for breakfast.  I was thinking pancakes, but what I found was this recipe.  I didn't have all the ingredients, so of course I did what I always do, I bastardized it into oblivion made it my own.  The result was a super soft, sweet, low propoint, healthy, breakfast or anytime muffin.  This is a healthy, portable, whole grain breakfast that will surely get you through to morning snack!

Sweet Potato Muffins
Yes, that's my dryer.  We live in an apartment- it's counter space. :)
1 Lg sweet potato, baked, skinned, and mashed
2C whole wheat flour
1tsp baking soda
1tsp cinnamon
1/4tsp nutmeg
1/4tsp cloves
1/4 C unsweetened apple sauce
equivalent of 2 eggs in egg whites
1tsp vanilla extract
1/2C honey
6oz Silk Light Vanilla soymilk
1-1/2 C diced fresh cranberries

Yields 16-18 muffins
1 muffin= 2 ProPoints

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Whisk together the flour, baking soda, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves.

Stir in the applesauce, egg whites, vanilla, honey, Silk, and mashed sweet potato, just until all ingredients are moistened.  Fold in cranberries. 

Spoon batter evenly into prepared muffin cups.

And bake 12-16 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.


I enjoy mine split in half with a little spray butter, peanut butter, or fat free cream cheese for breakfast on the go.  Or, as a dessert I'll break one into pieces in a bowl of fresh cut berries with a little jam or sugar free vanilla syrup and heat it up for a minute, add a splash of vanilla soymilk and it's like a fresh cobbler.

My crappy apartment lighting, photography skills and iPhone camera don't do it justice.  This heavy, dense muffin has a natural sweetness that dissolves on your tongue and the tart cranberries really pop.  I'm looking forward to eating these during the next week.  And I won't feel guilty for one single bite!

3 comments:

  1. Oh YUM! I haven't made muffins forever! I gotta get on that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does sound good. For some reason I cannot get myself to like sweet potatoes as is because I find them too sweet, but in a muffin they would be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man I want one of those. BAD! If there were a way to share through the internet I'd be a happy camper right now. MUST make those.

    ReplyDelete

Opinions are like elbows, we all have them! I'd love to see yours! :-)