Wednesday, 23 February 2011

Nonscale Victory and My Partner in Crime

This is my husband.  He is an apprenticed chef who currently works as a cook in a corporate turn-and-burn restaurant because the fine dining restaurants here are privately owned and do not offer insurance and benefits.  He hates it, but he does it for us.  Because it's scary to not have insurance these days.  For the past 12 years, he's lived his life doing whatever is best for us.  For me. 


We met my very first class on my very first day of high school in '99.  I was a freshman obviously, and he was a senior.  Funny enough, it was a parenting class.  I walked into the classroom (late and lost) and he was sitting in the back.  We locked eyes and everything else in the world melted away.  We've been inseparable ever since.  He says the moment he saw me, this little voice in the back of his head said "That's her!  That's her!!"  He knew that I was the one he wanted for the rest of his life and he has done everything in his power to make that happen ever since. 
2002- Our First Apartment
There are pros and cons to meeting your soul mate so early in life (I was 13, he was 17).  Most people find the story romantic, and it is.  But the reality is that we've been through hard times together from a fairly young age.  His parents divorced after he graduated and he moved in with me and my family when I was 16.  We moved into our first apartment when I was in my last year of high school at 17.  I graduated high school with a 3.4 GPA while working a full time job.  He supported us working two jobs while I went to college.  We moved out of state (away from his mom) when I was 20.  And then finally in 2007, when I was 22, we were married.
2007 Our Wedding
Doing all these things on our own was tough, to say the very least.  So, naturally, we often tried to take the easy way in the things that we could.  This meant fast food, 10 cent boxed of mac & cheese for DAYZ, poptarts, chips and icecream.  For Hubby, this was not a problem.  He is a bean pole at 6 feet 2 inches.  He has never weighed more than 154lbs.  He would be thrilled if I would let him eat frozen pizza and McDonald's cheeseburgers for the rest of his life.  I often have to remind him that just because he looks healthy on the outside, does not mean that his arteries aren't clogged with cholesterol and fatty plaque.  His eating has improved as mine has this past year.  He now also tracks his food to try and maintain a more balanced diet.  He has always been pretty active.  He rides his bike to and from work, he jogs occasionally with our best K9 friend, Bean.  He has always been able to do things that I couldn't do physically.  At 29 years old, he still loves to climb trees. 
2008- Up a Tree
But, I tell you all this to tell you about a nonscale victory I achieved yesterday.  When hubby got home yesterday (he had a terrible day at work) he decided he wanted to do a living room workout.  I asked if I could do it with him and he said of course.  We did some high stepping, some power hopping, jumping jacks, lunges, sit-ups, push-ups, planks, leg lifts, pelvic thrusts, up-downs, etc.  The coolest thing was that I OUTLASTED him!!  He was winded, red faced, and exhausted.  He threw in the towel and I kept going!!  He sat down on the couch catching his breath and just watched me with a huge smile on his face.  He told me, "COUPONS! (that's what he calls me, don't ask...)  You're in better shape than I am!"

2011- Now I can climb too!
It was the best feeling I've had in a LONG time!  He's always been proud of me, but I don't think I've every surprised him with my physical ability before!  And it is AMAZING that my stamina and endurance is better than his right now.  I've inspired him and he's already cooking up a "couples workout" for us this weekend.  I'll take pictures! :-D
2011- Up the same tree together!

2 comments:

  1. It is a romantic story but I know it was tough during the early years. Hubby and I married when I just turned 19 and I didn't know how to do anything and we had no money. Top Ramen and whatever else that was cheap was our standard fare. We would scrape change together and share an ice cream cone as a treat.

    Hey, is that rope climbing thing in Sugar Land? There is one exactly like it at a park there. Not that I think it's the only one in the world or anything like that. ;-)

    Congrats on the victory. Doesn't it feel good to be strong? Way to go warrior woman! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely story ....its soo nice to read a romantic success story...you are indeed lucky but of course it isn't luck is it? We make our own successes in relationships by being a great friend and partner.
    great success with the workout too!
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete

Opinions are like elbows, we all have them! I'd love to see yours! :-)