Friday, 4 February 2011

Sketchers Shape-Ups Review

I'm not being paid or compensated in any way for this review.  This is just me telling you 'bout something I found that I liked.

Have you seen the Sketcher's Shape-Ups?  I've seen them around everywhere and heard several reviews for them (both positive and negative.)   To be honest, I thought they were a gimmick.  And, I certainly couldn't afford to spend $60 just to find out if I was right.  But, last weekend my mom and I stopped into the shoe store around here since they were having a sale.  My mom found 3 pairs of shoes that she wanted, but the sale was BOGO, so she told me to pick out a pair, too.  I looked around for about 15 minutes looking at flats and boots, but couldn't find anything I really wanted that was also available in my size, until I came across the Shape-Ups.  Making sure that they were included in the sale, I picked out a black pair. 


Just like these.
The first thing I noticed was that when I opened the box, there was reading material; two pamphelts & a DVD.  The first booklet was explaining the new technology behind these shoes, and the second was a guide to healthy eating- with legitamate info!  I was impressed.  The DVD has a quick 5 minute instructional video, a 15 minute workout, and a 30 minute workout.  I LOVE that!!  That's like giving me 3 new fitness activites in 1 box!!

I'm REDICULOUSLY bored of the gym, and at 69 degees on Wednesday, it was WAY too beautiful to stay inside.  So, I asked my very favorite being in the world to keep me company on my first Shape-Ups foray.  Have you met Butter Bean yet?  I haven't had much opportunity to tell you about her yet.  That will be another post.
Anyway, she agreed that a brisk 40 minute walk sounded like a great way to spend some extra time outside.  So I laced up my Shape-Ups, grabbed my running bag and out we went!

It took me about 5 minutes of getting used to the strange "walking in sand" feeling.  I will say that I happen to have weak ankles, and next time I will be wearing my brace for a bit more stability and peace of mind.   But, after that, the pace was set.  I could definately feel the muscles in my legs working.   And now, two days later, I am sore.  That's all it takes in my book.

I'm looking forward to going through the DVD workouts this week too, since the forecast is for rain.
I like these shoes, I do believe that they can add another level fitness to your regular walk.

7 comments:

  1. I have been curious about how well they work. I was put off by the price too.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, love that pupper. What a sweetie. I've wondered about them as well. Another blogger put me off of them because she said they weren't good for people with weak ankles; something I have too. Keep us updated. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the silver and pink ones. They were my first pair. WOW! Did my legs hurt! Then my mama got me the black ones when they were on sale (the same as yours) and I don't find them to be as hard on my legs. I have been running in these on the treadmill and love the extra cushion provided.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the puppy!

    I love my shape ups too...I only have one negative about them... the back heel, you know the top part on the back of the shoe..it keeps flipping in and rubbing the back of my ankle...but it did get so bad I can't wear them anymore...so mabye i got a defective pair.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh what a gorgeous little face!
    Would be very hard to notice what you had on your feet is I saw you out walking with that puppy.
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had heard mixed reviews too. It's good to hear how well they worked for you. Maybe I'll have to give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I forgot to say how amazing you look! Congrats on all the hard work!!

    ReplyDelete

Opinions are like elbows, we all have them! I'd love to see yours! :-)