Monday, 7 March 2011

Award and a Menu

Dawn from A New Dawn For Me awarded me "The Versatile Blogger" badge!  I'm not exactly sure what that means, but I'm STOKED!!  I'm not sure that I've been very versatile in my blogging.  I think Dawn was trying to pull me from the doldrums of my last post.  (She's awesomely supportive like that, go check her out!  You seriously wish she was your friend, I promise!) 

Anyway, I would LIKE to be a more versatile blogger.  I realize that I haven't really given you much insight into my weight loss.  I've told you how much I've lost, and I've told you a general idea of the program(s) I've used to accomplish it so far.  But I really haven't given you all a day-to-day look at what the process is.  I guess, in an attempt to not sound boastful, after having worked and succeeded at my journey to the other end of the scale for almost 1-1/2 years, it has all just kind of become second nature to me.  I am just living life at this point...  I realize that not exactly helping yooz guyz out though...

So maybe I'll post a couple of my menus?  Maybe a few more recipes?  I really don't want this to become a food blog.  After all, I've worked very hard to avoid having my life become all about the food again.  But, so many of you have told me that you ache for the kind of success I've found.  To be honest, I don't feel like I've succeeded yet.  I may have won a few battles, but I'll be fighting the war for the rest of my life- and maintenance, I'm sure, will be a WHOLE 'nother kinda fight.  I don't have any magical secrets.  All I can say is that out of all the things I've done, eatin, tried...the only reason that ANY of it has "worked" is because I just kept doing it.  That's it.  That's the whole she-bang.  Just keep making the decision to change every time you are presented with food. *shrug*  It sounds simple, but if you're reading this blog, you know it takes a LOT of practice!

With this award, I'm supposed to tell you something about myself.  I'm not feeling all that interesting right this moment, so I figure I'll share my menu today.  So for today- this is how I lived my life...

I start every morning with a mug of room temperature water.  (I pour it the night before, cover it, and leave it to sit by my bathroom sink.)  Drinking water before anythign else is supposed to help detoxify, get the digestive tract moving, and prepare the body for food.  I'm not sure if there has been any study to prove the validity, but it works for me.  After breakfast, I generally try to wash down most meals with at least a full mug of water.

For breakfast today I ate a slice of homemade whole wheat flax bread.  (Want the recipe?  Leave a comment and I'll share it.)  Sometimes I add a bit of jam, this morning I didn't.  According to the recipe builder on Weight Watchers, this is 2 points.  I'm not a huge breakfast eater.  For 1, I don't have time to cook before leaving the house for work at 6:30am, and 2, too much food makes me feel heavy and sleepy.  So, just a piece of bread does the trick for me and generally lasts me about 2 hours. 

When my stomach started growling around 9am today, I answered it with a banana and a kiwi.  I don't always eat the same fruit or anything, but I do usually have fruit for my morning snack.  It's easy to eat while you're chasing down a 9 month old in a walker.  Sometimes on really busy days I only have time to eat some string cheese- slim jim style.  Like 4 bites and you're done. LOL 

I pack my lunch after dinner the night before and bring it to work with me every day.  I don't have to do this, I am welcome to eat anything I want in the kitchen at work.  I do this because it helps me preplan and stay on track the WHOLE day- not just each meal.  I'm a big picture kinda girl.  Today I had roasted green beans covered with vegetarian meatless meatballs that I had simmered in some tomato sauce that I spruced up with fresh herbs, and another piece of warmed flax bread on the side that I had put a bit of butter on.

I get out of work at 3pm, which is right about the time my stomach starts talking again.  I usually answer it with either fruit, or maybe a boiled egg.  Today, I had an apple.  For a long time (last year) I ate convenience bars like 90 cal Fiber One bars or goldfish crackers.  Recently I've become more interested in the effect these processed foods can have on my body and have eliminated them from my diet.  But, if you aren't worried about such things, they are WW point friendly. 

For dinner tonight I will be eating a stir fry.  Some combination of green beans, brussel sprouts, red bell pepper, garlic, and onion with some kind of seasoned EVOO "sauce."  I will serve this over either brown rice, or whole wheat spaghetti.

As an evening snack I will probably have 5 cups of air-popped popcorn.

If I'm wanting dessert, my go-to lately has been low-fat, whole wheat graham crackers with natural peanut butter and a few raisins sprinkled over the top.

So there you have it.  No crazy "diet food."  Most of it you could find at your grocery store.  I do make a lot of the food I eat from scratch so that I KNOW beyond a shadow of a doubt every ingredient that's gone into make them.  I'm more than just a little paranoid about extra preservatives, added sugar, and chemical ingredients.  I'm sure some of you may roll your eyes, but I believe that these kinds of "hidden ingredients" are quite possibly poison for my body.  Do you know about MSG?  Do you know it is STILL used in LOTS of foods?  And that's just the one of the more known "poisons" put in commercially prepared processed foods.  Wigs me out...

Any there any foods you are concerned about eating?  Not just because they are trigger foods, but because you know they are just not good for your body?  Maybe they make you feel crappy after eating them, or maybe hyper? 

Next post I will be passing along this badge to a few of my favorite bloggers.  Watch for you name!  Oh, and don't forget to go stop by Dawn's blog and tell her she's amazing! :-)

8 comments:

  1. I just have to say, after reading back several posts, I am SO glad I met you through the PJ blog too! Best kept secrets and all ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually my trigger foods are also foods that are not good for my body! I generally keep them out of the house :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on the Award! Those are always fun to receive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. well, it Doesn't matter what diet you're on, the hardest obstacle in dieting is control hunger pangs and cravings.
    You might like to try out a product that does exactly that: fresh-frozen Hoodia (a well known appetite depressant) in the form of small and convenient ice cubes – hence its name, the ice cube diet.
    It just helps you eat less and makes your dieting easier.
    http://www.icecubediet.com/
    Good luck to you all and for those who do try it out, please do share your experiences with me – John - icecube.john@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Found you through the pj party...wanted to come and check out your blog...I'll be following you here as well=)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on the award! You deserve it. And thanks for sharing your menu for the day. I don't know why but I find it so interesting to see/read what people are eating day to day. Also get some great ideas. :)

    I have to be careful around pasta and breads. I love them so much but the carbs really do a number on me.

    Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. a great post - thanks for the links to my blog. This post makes it clear why you are so successful - healthy food and nothing crazy mixed with determination.
    My trigger foods are always carbs with fat - so crisps, chips, toast and butter. I've just cut them out - never touch them - for me its the only way
    Great post
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't know crisps was an English term ...for a moment I thought you Americans didn't have them! Google tells me crisps are called Potato Chips with you ( Chips here mean fries with you) Whatever we all call them, I'm better off staying well out of their way!

    ReplyDelete

Opinions are like elbows, we all have them! I'd love to see yours! :-)