Friday, 18 March 2011

The Definition of "Hard"

I had an overweight woman ask me last week if my weight loss journey was "hard."  My immediate reaction was "HELL YES!!"  But I knew instantly that I wasn't really sure if that was the best answer.  If it was the "right" answer.  I've been thinking about it for the past few days and my thought process came out as something I really wasn't expecting.

Is losing 125 lbs "hard?"  What does that mean?  That word..."hard."  I googled the word "define: hard" and the first listed was:

HARD
difficult: not easy; requiring great physical or mental effort to accomplish or comprehend or endure; "a difficult task."

Was my weight loss journey that?  YES.  It did require great physical and mental effort, comprehension and endurance.  In fact, I would even switch how they were listed; it did require great mental and physical effort, endurance and comprehension.  BUT- in that definition, no where do I see the word "impossible."

I think we get wrapped up in that word "hard."  That four letter word that seems to mean so much to overweight or obese people.  That word some how becomes huge.  It builds a wall in our brains that demands to be fed.  And, the more you feed into it, the more it grows, the stronger it gets.  Plugging cracks with fat, growing higher with cheeseburgers.  By the time you realize what is happening, that word is a mountain and you are too fat and exhausted to climb it.

If you're anything like I was, I remember feeling like my brain and my heart were two different entities at war with each other.  In my heart I knew I wanted to be fit and lean and healthy, but my brain kept telling me to eat, to sit, to rest and then do it again.  I was addicted to the process.  I was addicted to the feeling, the oral fixation, having food in my mouth, chewing, swallowing, rinse, repeat.  I was a slave to that growing mountain.  My soul would tell me "STOP!  You're killing yourself!"  But I was a marionette to my brain when food was around. 

So what finally changed?  Well, you can read about that story here.

Change is HARD, but it is NOT impossible.  Nothing is TOO hard.  If you want it bad enough, you can have it.  You CAN conquer that word.  You CAN climb that mountain you've built.  And, if you just try, if you can just make an honest attempt to go at it, you will find that it is not as strongly built as you once believed.  Every morning that you wake up determined to climb higher, the easier the foot holds are to find.  And before you know it, you will stand at the top looking down at the view of a healthy body, a fit heart, strong lungs, tough muscles.  You will look down and be able to see your feet.  Your mind will be clear and sure, the path ahead of you will be well defined and nothing will ever stand in your way again.  You will have defeated your own Goliath.

Losing weight is (at least for me) much more of a mental battle than a physical one.  So was it (is it) hard?  YES.  But so what?  Nothing is impossible- the word itself says "I'm possible!"  (That's the quote on Kelly's blog.)  So for those of you dragging your feet and whining "this is so hard!"  I challenge you laugh at it! 

THIS IS HARD- NOW WATCH ME KICK ITS ASS!!

If I'm ever asked again if this was "hard," my answer will be simple.

Nothing is impossible.

7 comments:

  1. I love this post!
    Exactly what I needed to see today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You.are.awesome! Love your kick butt attitude. Heck yeah it's hard. But it's worth it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that is awesome!!!! Cole you are so right its not impossible, but it darn hard!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That just about hits the nail on the head. Great post! I was just thinking the other day that this will probably be one of the hardest things I will ever do. But not in a whiney way. Because my next thought was, if I can do this, I can probably do just about anything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So true, it's difficult but not impossible. I do believe that some people have a more difficult time due to their circumstances, but again, not impossible. Your words about the head and the heart so resonate to me and perhaps many others. There seemed to be such a disconnect between the two. Great post, Cole.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh Cole...I just read "your story of change"
    wow wow wow how my heart went out to the girl crying in he potatoes...
    and now
    how proud I feel, how honored, to see the woman that you are becoming...you TRULY are an inspiration
    it is true...nothing is impossible...we were all born free, it is our right...it is us who have to grab it. I am glad you choose to grab it because it makes us all stronger.
    I hope you ar having a wonderful weekend
    you are amazing!

    love and light

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't it harder to be obese? To be out of control? To be embarrassed daily? It's hard to regain control after binging. Depression, anxiety, panic - now that's hard. You go girl. Loved reading this - an inspiration to us all.

    ReplyDelete

Opinions are like elbows, we all have them! I'd love to see yours! :-)