Wednesday, 16 March 2011

Stretching Out My Comfort Zone

I have a lot to do today.  Namely, spring cleaning.  I'm really hoping to do it with a possitive attitude though, and I haven't been able to muster one yet.  I'm thinking I'll need a good playlist for it.  I also want to try and see if I can break my running-without-stopping record of 11 minutes today, but we'll see how (exhausted) I feel after cleaning top to bottom.  Yesterday I ran up 10 flights of steps in the parking garage at the hospital and my inner thigh (aductor longus and gracillis) muscles are thanking me for it today.

That got me thinking.  I got an email yesterday from a reader who was frustrated with her lack of weight loss progress this month.  She is at a slight disadvantage when it comes to exercise because she is having to contend with pain.  I certainly would not equate my sore muscles to the type of pain she has to go through, but I don't want to get too detailed here.  She mentioned that she believed that she needed to mix it up a bit.  She tends to do the same kinds of exercise and consume the same amount of calories.  I agreed with her and tried to suggest a few things that I thought she may want to give a shot and see what happens. 

When I woke up this morning with sore muscles I immediately thought of her.  Can you imagine the kind of drive she must have to wake up in pain, move in pain, sit in pain, cook in pain, eat in pain, exercise in pain, live her LIFE in pain?  I won't feel sorry for her, everyone has their burdens and she is handling hers in the best way she knows how.  But I do feel inspired by her.  Even if she is at a plateu, the fact that she gets up every morning to do anything and everything in discomfort is kind of amazing.

How many excuses have I made to not do something because it made me uncomfortable or it didn't suit my plans for the day?  Now that I'm realizing that I really can do or be anyone I want to be, I think it's time for me to decide just who that person is.  It's great when things like yesterday just happen, but at this point, I'm beginning to feel a stirring in my soul that is just begging for me to investigate my new limits.  And, where better to start than by stepping out of my comfort zone?  I'm so comfortable, I'm not even sure what that means right now.  I do often try new things and I believe that I'm well on my way to conquering my fear of failure which are huge and make my feel like all things are possible. 

But evolution never stops.  And there are plenty of things out there that I don't even know I could succeed at!  So, here are a few small things I can I identify as things I think I would like to ...hmm...what's a good word?  ..Edit...to stretch out my comfort zone a bit further.

1.  Leaving dishes in the sink overnight.  We go though a lot of dishes during the day since hubby and I both cook separate meals.  I am generally the one who takes care of the kitchen, and I find myself washing dishes sometimes four or five times a day.  Then I tend to get tired lazy in the evenings and leave them until the morning.  I always feel like a bum doing this.  It is not something I feel pride in.  And waking up to a sink full of dishes is always a downer...

2.  I think it's time I push myself a bit in my exercise.  I almost always do 30 minutes.  I think that after -125 lbs, I should probably be doing at least an hour 3 times a week.  I don't just want to lose weight- I want to be fit and healthy and have endurance.  I will have to work up to this- probably in 10 minute increments.

3.  I always want to be more selfless.  This is not a new concept for me, it has been at the top of my list for many years.  I think it gets easy to get wrapped up in my own needs and wants.  Don't get me wrong, I think it is important to take care of yourself and your needs.  But, I've been noticing lately that I've been able to find less time for others now that I concentrate so readily on my own journey.  This is not a race and I hope to have a huge group of people to celebrate with as we reach the finish line.  There is ALWAYS time to help others.  ALWAYS.  Volunteer somewhere.  Offer my time and attention.  Cook an extra meal for a neighbor.  Whatever.  A selfless act that will bring someone else comfort, relief, or joy.

So there you have it.  3 things that I hope to bring into my life on a daily or weekly basis in the hopes that they will help mold the me that I want to become.  3 things that are completely within my control to fail or succeed at with the only result being my own personal satisfaction of a job well done.  I will be working on these things over the next month to try to make them habits and not just incidental events. 

Can you think of things that you would like to edit about yourself besides the number on the scale or the size of your pants? 

7 comments:

  1. I would like to do charity work my mom is very involved in it and I want to make a difference and help our community.Those sound like great ideas.Steppin out of a comfort zone can be hard these sound like great ways to start!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some great goals!

    I want to keep house better. Be a better mom and wife and daughter and friend. Be more consistent with exercise. And of course to lose weight. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Post! I am struggling with some of those same things too! I want to be a better homemaker, and I seem to wake up to dishes a lot too. I just really need to get more organized. Thanks for the reminder to focus on my whole self, and not just the physical me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice, Cole. You post such uplifting messages on your blog that touch nearly all of your readers in some way or another. Kudos to your friend in pain for staying strong in spite of the pain. I hope you're doing better now, too. My biggest challenge is to stay upbeat and positive after typing cancer patient reports for 8 to 12 hours a day. It's not the happiest of energy to spend my days in so I need to focus more on gratitude for my job and less on the emotional side of the work and the suffering of the patients.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "This is not a race and I hope to have a huge group of people to celebrate with as we reach the finish line."

    love this line Cole!
    Another awesome post from you my friend...WOW!
    For me, I want to stay right on the path that I am on .... no wondering about what is going on over there, or there....I know I am right where I need to be and I need to stay focused on that. When it is time to change I trust that I will know.
    So simply put, i want to be less distracted.

    Hope you have a great day Cole
    you are lovely!♥

    love and light

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to stop procrastinating on EVERYthing and be better at cleaning. (HATE cleaning!)

    BTW, congrats on your progress, it's very inspirational to me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Cole, wonderful post. I'm always looking to improve and try new things. Most importantly, my top mission in life is to be kind to people and animals. Everybody could use a little more kindness in their lives xox.

    ReplyDelete

Opinions are like elbows, we all have them! I'd love to see yours! :-)