Sunday, 27 March 2011

Week in Review

I'm here!  I'm here!  Sorry I've been so quiet.  Dawn emailed and me a "just checkin' in" (she's WONDERFUL like that) and I realized it has been a whole week since I've posted.  Sorry 'bout that.  As you all know, Spring break ended and last week was spent getting back into the routine.  It was a good week and I look forward to doing it again next week.  In fact, on Wednesday, 5-year-old has a playdate with a classmate and if it doesn't rain we are planning on going strawberry picking!

Then, the 24th was my husband's birthday.  And, in this house- it's really a birth WEEK.  We usually celebrate for days.  And when you're turning 30, what's not to celebrate?  He took off two extra days from work and we've been shopping, and movie watching, and cake eating, and go-go-go!  He really is awesome and I'm a very lucky girl to be allowed to keep him company during the celebration. :-)

Because of birthday festivities, I've eaten old school yesterday and the day before.  No meat, but still, seriously- way too much food and way too much of it was crap.  I'm paying dearly for it today with a TERRIBLE headache, but I refuse to take anything for it.  I'm punishing myself so that I that hopefully next time I'm tempted, I'll go a bit slower and remember the agony (seriously typing with one eye closed) I'm in right now.  UGH!  I'm sure I've gained a few pounds over it as well.  But, oh well, that's life, I'm sure it won't be the last time I over-do it and pay the price.

Today, food wise, I am back on track with some clean vegan eating so I know tomorrow I should be feeling much better.  I made 2 smoothies (breakfast and lunch.)  I like to call them "hang over" smoothies- I don't drink much, I mean "hang over" in the sense that I feel the need to get in some very easy to digest and absorb nurtients.  Silk, low cal OJ, banana, frozen strawberries, blueberries, and 2 huge handfuls of spinach.  Dinner was a tofu stir-fry with quinoa.  May have some popcorn later if I'm feeling peckish.  I've also been drinking tons of water with fresh detoxifying grapefruit juice squeezed in.  Just getting back on track makes me feel better!

Despite my "hang over" Hubby and I got in about 5 miles today on a run/ bike/ hike around the nearby state park today.  It was a lot of fun!  I love spending time outside with him.  We seem to be able to find so much to talk about when we're outside.


hmm...can't figure out why my pictures won't post... :-(


So thanks for missing me!  I'm here!  I've been commenting here and there on a few of your blogs.  Some really great posts!  Especially this one by Dawne about pulling a "Hard 10."  Go read it!! 

My "hard 10" will mean that for the next 10 days (today included) I will be following a strickly vegan diet.  I've been dragging me feet on it.  (I love cheese, and soy cheese without casein really isn't the same, and my very favorite gourmet mustard has eggs in it.)  But for 10 days, I can commit.  Heck, I've been editing my eating habits for more than 400 days now...10 days is just a blip on the radar.  My hope is that I'll decide that I won't miss the cheese afterwards.  But between you and me, I've got 3 more jars of the mustard in my pantry- and it ain't going no where.  It's all about reducing animal products a bit at a time.  At this point, I'm still willing to accept the negligable amount of cholesterol contained in the mustard as the only non-vegan edible I consume.  For the next 10 days though, I'm armed with regular mustard and vegenaise as a dijon substitue, and nutritional yeast as a cheesy substitute.  Are you interested in seeing what's on the menu?  If you'd like to see, I'll start posting it with pictures for the duration of the challenge.  Let me know!  Also, if any of you are interested in vegetarianism or veganism, please don't hesitate to ask!  We can learn together!

4 comments:

  1. Go for it, lady! You can do it! Glad to see you are still around!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, welcome to the Hard Ten Challenge. So glad to have you aboard. Thanks for the mention!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to hear from you - Great you're doing the Hard Ten - Don't think I could be a vegetarian but oh so easily could be a just fish eater, whatever the technical term for one of them is!
    Sounds like you've had a lovely week
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete

Opinions are like elbows, we all have them! I'd love to see yours! :-)