Saturday, 21 January 2012

Apple Ring Pancakes

Back story is that I received a nice apple corer for Christmas and I've been looking for ways to use it as often as possible.  I have been drooling over a recipe idea since I found it on Pinterest about 2 weeks ago and I woke up this morning excited that today would finally be the day I would get to actually EAT it.

The recipe only requires two ingredients, three if you count water as an ingredient.  Pancake mix and an apple.  Doesn't get easier than that for a hot morning meal!!  I used Hungry Jack wheat complete mix and since I was making a single serving, I had to just add water in a little at a time because the directions on the back only give specific measurements of pancake/water ratio for 6-8 pancakes and up- which is STUPID!! (( I'm so fed up with our label requirements for boxed food!!))  That of course didn't stop me from wanting pancakes though, so I got out my 1/3 single serving scoop of pancake mix and added 2 Tbsp Torani's Sugar Free Caramel Syrup a heavy sprinkling of ground cinnamon and added water a bit at a time to make a thick batter.  I cored and sliced my apple, blotted the slices dry with a towel, and dredged both sides of the apple slice through the pancake batter and dropped them into a hot non-stick skillet.  One flip and 4 minutes later- HEAVEN!!

I realize this is not the best picture of my life, but I was too excited and hungry to eat them to take the time for staging and all that business.  I love everything ABOUT these apple ring pancakes!  It's like healthy toaster streudell!!!  The apple cooks and softens while the pancake batter cooks.  The apple (and the syrup I added) make the pancake sweet enough that you don't need pancake syrup and that means I can eat it with my hands, which is a PLUS for me for my morning meals.  I don't often get to sit down and enjoy my breakfast- it is generally eaten on the go.  It was quick to make and super easy to put together.  I did it from start to finish in about 12 minutes.  I've already come up with some different ideas to try out (like PB2 in the pancake batter?!  WORD!!)  I wonder if this would work for a banana, kiwi, mango, FRUIT?  THAT is why I'm so excited about this recipe!!  So many great healthy possibilities!  Please try this out you won't be disappointed!

3 comments:

  1. Oh now you've got me planning what day to try these :) Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now, that is darned creative! Thanks for opening my eyes to another possibility.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG .. what an awesome idea! <3

    ReplyDelete

Opinions are like elbows, we all have them! I'd love to see yours! :-)