Sunday, 8 January 2012

The Happy Herbivore



I'm breaking blog silence to tell you about this book I received for Christmas from my SIL.

At first glance, I thought, oh great, another cookbook of sub-par "diet" and "vegan" recipes.  Awesome...

Hubby was actually the one to really look at it at all the next day (because it some how got left in the bathroom.  This may be TMI, but it is the truth.LOL)  He brought it too me and grunted at page 213, Carrot Cake Cupcakes.  I read the recipe and it seemed pretty basic.  AND, there were no animal products being used, which pretty much makes it healthy, right?  ...Well, it's certainly better than the GiGi's Cupcakes I seem to be patroning about once a week lately. ;o?

So I started leafing through the book.  Tons of pictures and all of them look GOOD.  Like...normal food good.  Two weeks later, I'm steam rolling through it.  I've made Lasagna Rolls as freezer meals, I've made Baked Ziti that Hubby liked, I've made a Seitan Potroast, and Broccoli Pesto Pasta.  This book is amazing!  It has reignited my passion in the kitchen.

This vegan thing has become a kind of experiment...  I meddled in it awhile back, but you all know I'm notorious for my all-or-nothing attitude with food.  I struggle with it everyday!

Aside from the vegan aspect, these recipes are easy to follow for relatively basic meals that most people love and give them an exciting new twist using vegan substitutions!  My favorite has been making "vegan ricotta" with firm tofu, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, and Italian seasoning.  It tasted great and had I not made it myself, I would not have noticed it was any different than store bought ricotta cheese.  Then when I start comparing the nutritional profile of the vegan ricotta to the store bought cheese, I get REALLY excited.

I wrote to the author today to tell her how excited I am about her book.  I hope you all will go and check her out.  Go outside your comfort zone with food.  Don't just try a new recipe, try a new ingredient! :)

2 comments:

  1. Yes...I will HAVE TO look at this. I'm allergic to walnuts and can't eat the traditional carrot cake recipe that I friggin LOVE, so some pancakes that deliver on that essence would be highly prized. Thanks and best wishes on our respective vegan lifestyles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this book, and her other one, and her blog, and her facebook, etc. I'm a vegan endurance athlete, but haven't always been either. 2 yrs ago I was an overweight Paleo dieter. :) Things change, and with me, for the better! Keep up your good work.

    ReplyDelete

Opinions are like elbows, we all have them! I'd love to see yours! :-)