Wednesday, 1 February 2012

Where I'm at...

I've been using the elliptical to exercise ever since I quit working at the "gym job."  That's been about 4 months now and I can assure you all that the mere mention of exercising on the elliptical for 40 minutes makes me want to cry.  My weight has crept back up about 20 pounds in the past 7 months, but I am SO effing bored with it and the fact of the matter is, I wasn't doing it nearly often enough.  I would go through spurts- going 6 days a week for two weeks, then nothing for two weeks.  The all or nothing attitude I struggle with has been convincing me not to follow my diet as closely because I wasn't exercising either.  I do NOT want to end up where I started ever again.  The one thing that I have learned is that as long as I never stop trying to maintain a healthy weight, I will be better off than never trying at all.  So even when I'm failing, I'm always looking for an opportunity to get back on the bandwagon.

I have some things coming up in the next 6-8 weeks that I've found to be very important to me and having a fit body will make these occasions even more enjoyable for me.  The first is in the middle of March and I will be accompanying the family I nanny for to Boston for a family wedding.  This wedding will be an EXTREMELY affluent event.  There will be many of the city's best doctors and lawyers present and 6-year-old is the bride's niece and will therefore also be "flower girl."  Needless to say, I will be dressed to the nines and would like to fit into photos.  And, to say the very least, there will be people there that I wouldn't mind leaving a good impression on.  I've gotten myself the fanciest dress I've owned since my wedding dress and would like to fit in it a bit better before the wedding.

Here it is now, straight out of the box it arrived in:

It is a size 14 and a bit snugger than I would like for it to be.  I will need to have it altered (hemmed) and I will need a new bra for it.  But I think that some general improvement in my body tone will also greatly enhance how I look in this dress.

The second event is the "Colorrun."  I've convinced my mom to go with me to the upcoming Atlanta race that happens March 31st this year.  I had a facebook friend post about it and it just looked like so much fun that I promised myself that if I ever got the opportunity to go, I would.  Mom is a good sport about anything related to me being more healthy (because she's the best mom ever) and she seemed instantly excited about the idea to have a mother- daughter weekend and exercise to boot.  Mom has been running 4-5 miles every single day for years and years.  She doesn't run fast, she just sets her pace and follows her own little outdoor neighborhood map she's created.  So, I would like to be able to keep up with her for this race.  That would mean that I will need to be able to run for 30-40 minutes.  So far, the best I have done is running a 13 minute mile without stopping.  I know that part of the problem is that running has HUGE mental blocks for me.  I lose faith in myself very quickly and can't seem to push myself to continue.  I know that I go hard on the elliptical for 40 minutes pretty easily, so I know that I have the "fitness" to achieve running for 30-40 minutes, it's got to be in my brain that I'm failing myself with.  At any rate, I would like to improve this in the next 8 weeks.

These up-coming events have had me researching new ways to get me excited about exercise again, and I've landed with a membership at the YMCA.  I met with my "personal trainer" today and had a great, fun workout!  I hope I can afford to keep doing these meetings.  I will find out Saturday what the pricing schedule will be.  I'm also excited to go to several of the group fitness classes that the Y offers like Zumba, and Kickboxing.  More posts on this to come. :)

4 comments:

  1. The dress is lovely!
    I so understand where you are a with motivation, I'm in a very similar place, things seem hard but we gotto just keep on going
    Will look forward to seeing the photos from the fancy wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the dress!! The best success I had on my diet (before regaining some) was when I had my wedding as a deadline.. something about having a deadline helped motivate me, hope it does for you too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love having events throughout the year to give me motivation. Always gives me something to strive for sooner then something that is a year away. Sounds like you do have a good list of events and those new exercise options should help kick start your motivation into full gear. I have wanted to try Zumba, and love the idea of the kickboxing. Have a great week.

    MO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup having a deadline TRULY helps! Paul is deployed right now and knowing he is coming home in June has kept me on the straight and narrow and down 24 in just 7 weeks!! :) You can do this... You have done it before and you ROCK THIS SHIT GIRL! :)))) Kick it in the HINEY!

    ReplyDelete

Opinions are like elbows, we all have them! I'd love to see yours! :-)