Tuesday, 15 May 2012

Ready to Continue

I'm here and I'm ready to begin again.  I'm back on track and feeling great.  Pictures will be up soon.  I'm currently weighing in at 193 lbs.  My goal is 165lbs by the end of the year.

Yes, I know that I could absolutely power my way to 165 in a matter of weeks, but now I'm interested in going slow and teaching myself about what my life will be like from now on.  I'm sure we've all heard that the faster you lose weight, the more likely you are to gain it back and I'm taking that to heart.

I've found satisfaction for the past few months in saying that as long as my weight still has a '1' in the front, I will be happy.  Obviously some of you will balk at that, but if you see my big picture in that I have had a '3' in the front of my weight for most of my adult life, keeping a '1' in the front for more than a year has been quite an accomplishment.

But, during the past year, because I haven't been totally committed to a diet or exercise program, I have gained about 20lbs back from my lowest of 173.  That's quite a lot for a person to gain in a year and if I continued on that path, I would be back to 300+ lbs in about 5 years.  That is completely unacceptable to me.

So now my journey is not so much about the weight loss as it is figuring out how to maintain it.  I am at this time interested in losing, but at a MUCH slower pace.  I need to figure out a rhythm of eating, indulging, exercising, and relaxing that will even out my weight.  If I'm not losing, I'm gaining...and thus would be my constant struggle.  Maintaining sounds like a better plan to me.

That being said, my biggest supporter and sister will coming to visit in a couple weeks and I have found a tremendous amount of motivation in that.  I've jumped back in with both feet and have stayed on track with my diet, choosing healthy options over not healthy, tracking my intake, staying within my point range and exercising about 6 days a week.  My resolve is strong ( I turned down Cinnabon for Christ's sake!!), I'm recognizing cravings for what they are, and I'm exercising my willpower by saying no to at least one option daily.  I feel dedicated.

33 weeks left in the year means that I need to lose around 1.1lbs per week to achieve my goal. I recognize that diet is a tremendous part of a weight lose journey, but I would like to reach a point where it is my habit and resolve to make healthy choices so that I won't need to count points (track everything I eat) every meal for the rest of my life.  Which means that the role of exercise will become the forefront during this leg of my journey.

Stay tuned...

3 comments:

  1. So glad to read your post! I see myself in some of what you are saying. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your philosophy here has actually opened my eyes to why I may have been losing and regaining the same weight for so long now - as I was approaching goal, I was still trying to smash several pounds out a week, and expected my body to still be capable of that. I'm now better educated than that, and definitely agree that slow and steady is the best way to finish this race!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to see you back up! I think learning to eat and juggle around 5lbs up and down is a do able maintenance.

    ReplyDelete

Opinions are like elbows, we all have them! I'd love to see yours! :-)