Friday, 6 July 2012

Lunch Box Master

B. L. D., also known in my brain as Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner.  In my busy life, I often am not home for any of my meal times and this can go on for days.  Luckily, one of the habits I've managed to keep up even when I'm not on plan, is that I pack my own food.  I've become a master of my lunch box!  I use the term "lunch box" very loosely, because often enough, this box also contains my breakfast, snacks, and dinner as well.  

Every once in awhile when I've got the free time and the motivation, I can get a weeks worth of meal prep done in one weekend afternoon.  But the truth is that lately, I have been doing a little bit of prep for the next day, but still having to do prep for each meal.  It's not always convenient, I will be the first to tell you!  I'm often standing in the kitchen packing my food for the next day at 10pm trying to make excuses on how I can just buy lunch out or eat whatever I'm serving the kids.  Occasionally, I'm tired enough to let that happen, but much more often than not, I'm able to remind myself about all the good things I'm accomplishing with this one small feat.

By packing my own food:
I stay in control of my portions.
I know what I'm eating, how it was prepared, and where it originated from.
I'm never left scrambling for healthy options.
I can make sure I'm eating from all the food groups.
I save money, and who is ever sad about that?
I set a good example for the kids.

And that's just the doing of it, I won't even go into how the simple act of EATING a lunch I packed for myself effects my my brain, my motivation, and my body positively as well.  At least not in this post.  

SO in knowing all that, I thought it was probably high time for a new "This is what my lunch box is looking like lately" post.



I won't lie, I do tend to eat just about the same lunch and breakfast day-to-day for a week or more.  I might switch up some of the sides or snacks, but the staples will be the same.  It doesn't bother me to eat the same thing because I usually make it with different ingredients.  

For breakfast I'm eating a Thomas Whole Wheat Mini Bagel with Cinnamon Laughing Cow Cream Cheese smashed with fresh blueberries and a boiled egg. (6 P+).  I usually do have a bagel and an egg, but sometimes I'll put the egg on the bagel with cheese and a banana on the side, or put peanut butter on the bagel and only eat the egg white.  Keeps it simple to have the same basic idea, but keeps it interesting to find new combinations.

For lunch I've been making a lot of pin wheels lately.  This one is a Swiss Laughing Cow cheese wedge mixed with a tablespoon of plain greek yogurt, a couple tablespoons of diced cucumber, and a sprinkling of scallions.  I spread the chunky mixture around on a high fiber tortilla and layer 4 slices of roast beef on.  Then I start and the bottom and roll it to the top.  Wrap it in a paper towel, so it's not soggy for lunch tomorrow, and then seal it up in some cellophane wrap.  When I'm ready to eat it, I unwrap it and slice it into half inch rounds.  You can eat them easily with your fingers, but I like to use chopsticks, like when you eat maki sushi.  Helps make eating a memorable activity to me instead of a mindless, get it in quick kinda deal.  I've also thrown in a small caesar salad mix, a half cup of garbanzo beans, and an orange.  So I've covered vegetables, fruit, protein, dairy, and healthy carbs all in one 10 p+ meal!  And that is exciting to me!

After that stroke of genius, I'm exhausted so I throw in some more easily portable protein in the form of a cheese stick and another boiled egg.  I'm excited that tomorrow, I WILL be home for dinner, so I didn't need to pack it tonight.  (We're going to have turkey burgers.  I will make two extra and probably pack them for lunches/dinners in the next few days.  See how this works?)  So all that's left is to stack the food in nicely and pop "la lunch carta" (spanglish: "lunch box") into the fridge!  Because I pack my breakfast inside of my L. box too, I never forget it at home.  And now I have the peace of mind that I will be on track tomorrow with very little thought, effort, or stress involved!

*****This post was written last night- so here is how it looked when I unpacked it to eat.  YUM!!


AND- I found this at my seat at the table this morning from Cupcake, which made my lunch taste even better!



"Dear Nanny
Each day is always fun.  I cry when you say it's done.  I will always hold you in my heart."

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the new idea for a wrap. I love them, but get stuck in a rut sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that sure did come out of the container looking really good! Do you know why they call garbanzos also chick peas? Because when you see them in the store raw you will be able to see how they have a green fuzzy husk around them and the really look like itty bitty chicks. FYI if you didn't know.LOL

    ReplyDelete

Opinions are like elbows, we all have them! I'd love to see yours! :-)