Friday, 5 October 2012

DO THE WORK!

It's happened to me a number of times now.  Someone sits down (or calls/texts/emails/facebooks me) and confidentially tells me that they have wanted to lose weight for a long time and could I tell them how I stayed motivated,  or how I didn't feel deprived, or how I learned to love my veggies and fruits and then the moment I tell them how, they tell me that they can't do that...excuse excuse excuse.

Is it horrible that I feel like it's a waste of time?  

Well here it is for you:

I have followed the Weight Watchers plan for the entirety of my weight loss.  Within that plan I also toyed with vegetarianism.  Weight Watchers (WW) is NOT what you think it is.  If you've never gone to a meeting, then you don't know.  Yes, there are plenty of people who research and follow the WW plan "for free" meaning they do not participate online or in meetings.  But me?  I needed (need still) both.  The online website is GREAT for recipe research, tracking your food, and creating your own recipes.  The meetings give me an opportunity to reconnect with like-minded people, have any of my questions answered, brag to people who are genuinely supportive and excited about my journey when I've done well, and talk to people who appreciate the struggle.  You do NOT HAVE TO TALK at a WW meeting if you don't want to, but trust me, swallow your fat pride and speak up, those people are there to help you, not to judge you, and yes they DO understand!  WW claims (and I'm living proof of the statistic) that people who attend meetings lose 3X (THREE TIMES for christ's sake!!) the weight and keep it off longer.

Weight Watchers is not a diet plan.  You do not have to eat "their food" or follow some strange food plan.  Mostly, WW teaches you how to make better decisions about real food you find in restaurants and grocery stores and gives you a way to keep track your food intake in a simple way, by assigning numbers to foods based on their fat, carbs, protein, and fiber content.  Therefore, you learn how to cook healthfully at home and choose carefully when you're out.  WW does have a frozen meal line (Smart Ones) and some breakfast and snack options that are prepackaged, but they are just for support- they are not a complete diet.  I tell you all that to tell you this; 

YES!  I cook about 95% of my meals at home!  
YES!  I have to meal plan, shop, prepare, and track all that food!
YES!  I pack my food from home out with me every day to work, appointments, and errands.
YES!  I exercise at least 4-5 days a week!
YES!  These things take time!
YES!  It is hard work!
YES!  It requires a lot of planning and dedication!
NO!  I don't care what other people think about it and I'm not embarrassed about any of it!

It here that I get all these excuses about why they can't do those things.  And then look to me expecting to give them some other way, some "get out free" card, or sympathy for they're inability to commit.  

It all comes down to priorities.  I work a 40-60 hour week and still find the time to do all this because I have decided it is more important to me than down time or other activities.  

You CAN have all the success and more than I have had if you decide you want it and set out for it.  Get the ball rolling and in a few months you will realize that you're FLYING down the scale.  DO THE WORK- REAP THE REWARDS!!

3 comments:

  1. I have had the same experience. I am still on my way down(75 lbs since last Aug 30 to go) and I have friends who are big who say that its just not worth all the work I have to put in just to get smaller. They have no idea the amazing things it has due to my brain and my body they just see that I say no to the junk that is provided for workers and that I pack my lunches and snacks instead of hitting the drive thru. I don't do WW but I do count calories and track everything I eat so it is similar without the support system. You have done amazing and I think lots of people can talk but only when we are ready can will really make that change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi C! I've missed you. I'm glad to see you are posting again. Your posts are always so helpful. You are right, planning is key. Lately, I have just been flying by the seat of my very large pants...not working out too well. I am so proud of you and love your new photos, so pretty. It's funny what you've said about people asking for help and then making excuses about why that won't work for them. I've noticed that too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your blog and LOVE this post. For someone well over 300# and two weeks into WW straightforward advice from someone who took off 100+ is refreshing. Thanks and I'll be following along.

    ReplyDelete

Opinions are like elbows, we all have them! I'd love to see yours! :-)