Wednesday, 19 December 2012

Too thin?

I'm weighing in at my lowest weight now, this morning, 173.4.  It's exciting watching the scale go down, but looking at pictures, at this point, I tend to like how I look around 180 more.  I am a shapely woman, having developed an hour glass figure as a pre-teen, and I can see that fading into a more sharp, boney shape.  Also, I feel my face is looking a bit gaunt.  Too thin?  Not something I had ever considered struggling with...

According to the doctors' charts, my height and age indicate that I should weigh between 140lbs and 160 lbs.  I don't trust my BMI because I have so much loose skin, so I don't believe that number is accurate.  When I tell people I still have weight to lose to be in the prescribed weight range, people laugh?  Most of them tell me "Oh, you should just do what feels best to you."  Well, how will I know what feels best if I never try to be between 140 and 160?  I'm not naive  I know that doctors are really only giving their best guess of what would be healthy for a wide range of people, but why shouldn't I fit into that range?  I do think that I probably have about 10 lbs of skin to be removed at some point.  Taking that into account, I could really weigh around 163,  which would make my BMI to be about 26, which is still considered overweight.  It's extremely frustrating.  Will I ever be considered healthy?

My work schedule is completely crazy right now due to some unforeseen obstacles and I have not been able to get to my step aerobics classes nearly as much as I'd like to be lately.  I miss it!!!  I've asked Santa if he might bring me a step and a few videos for Christmas this year. :)  I really and truly HATE the elliptical and 45 minutes on it barely creates a dent in my activity points.  I earn just 3 activity points on the elliptical for 45 minutes compared to 8! for 40 minutes of step aerobics.  And, I just don't feel quite confident in my weight lifting ability to continue doing it on my own with the personal trainer quite yet.  Also, on the days I do weight lifting with the trainer, I feel hungry ALL DAY afterwards and struggle not to overeat.  It's an excuse, I know, but it's the truth.

So that's where I'm at right now.  I really appreciate those of you who enjoy reading my occasion weight loss ramblings.  I've even gotten message from a few new readers.  HI!!!  I'm so glad you're here!!!

4 comments:

  1. I am right with you on the too thin. Sometimes I look in the mirror and think...wow..I am looking too thin in the face. Then I look at belly and say...well, there is the 15 lbs that keep me from a "healthy" BMI. Where does it stop? I wonder too how I will know if I don't get to the healthy weight--I have actually set my goal to half way in the middle of healthy so that is 25 more pounds. Someday I just don't see it.

    I have heard--and have no idea if is reasonable that in the middle is the last to go...so I sort of want to continue to get that smaller. Then I wonder if in putting a few pounds back on if it could go everywhere.

    Also loose skin is beginning to really bother me. How much more will there be? I am not sure that surgery is in the cards for me. But is loose skin an excuse?

    Needless to say...you really struck a chord with me! Thank you so much!!!! I am not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your blog. You are such an inspiration. You have achieved amazing results and should be proud.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're looking awesome. Just get to your prescribed weight range, build muscle, and see what you think. That hunger after lifting is your body being in an anabolic state, feed it what it needs only and then resort to water or zero cal snacks to fill the tummy. Your progress is inspiring even for me. If you won't give up on your goals then neither will I... Though they are at oposite ends of the spectrum, fitness goals are fitness goals no matter what. Great writings in here girl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is no magic tool that will give you good shape once and for all. Each recommendation, diet, or workout has to be implemented regularly. Still, there are things which might help on your way. The number of tips I have learned at http://bit.ly/Qh9G8S helped me enhance my strength and intensify workouts without overeating. I am enjoying quicker results and the inprovements of my shape.

    ReplyDelete

Opinions are like elbows, we all have them! I'd love to see yours! :-)