Tuesday, 8 January 2013

The Best Christmas Gift

...that I received this year was from my husband, who gave up his home office so that I could have an area at home to work out in. And all the equipment I needed for it from my sister in law and Mom...

We live in a small loft, 750sqft. So space is limited and we have to be very careful about the amount of things we bring in. When new things come in, old things have to go out lest we end up on an episode of hoarders. And, I'll be honest, clutter makes me antsy. Growing up in a family that moved a lot turned me into a minimalist.

With my crazy work schedule, it is sometimes VERY hard to get to the step aerobics classes I love so much because they are only offered 4 days a week and there are plenty of times that I would be working during all four class opportunities. I wanted to be able to step at home but I didn't think I would really have enough room.

I told my husband about my frustration and he went right to work. He said, "you would use that space much more often than I do and you would get much more out of exercising than I do playing computer games and studying." Yeah, he is wonderful like that...

When word got out about what I wanted before Christmas, under the tree was an aerobic step and DVD from my mom and a set of free weights and stability ball from my sister in law. :)

We got rid of a large desk and book case, and repurposed an armoire from upstairs to provide storage. This is what we started with (well, also imagine that to the left there is a large bookcase too):
And this is what we ended up with:

This is how it looks stored and stowed away. Please don't mind the fire hazard cords, this apartment was NOT built for modern electronic demands... ;-) I'm not sure what I'll use to ad some beauty to the area on top of the armoire, but for now, Hubby's RC helicopter is holding it down.

This is what's inside:

A TV and DVD player to play an aerobic DVD, an aerobic step, a set of hand weights, and my sneakers (and LOTS of Nanny craft supplies that won't be needed for my home gym, but still needed a home.) The stability ball won't fit. LOL

This is how it looks when it's all pulled out and ready to be used:
The mirror on the wall helps me keep an eye on my form, the bulletin board holds my notes that I got from my trainer (going to ad more motivation there too) and the framed poster up top is a "word cloud" of saying my Dad said that my sister made. ...I love it.

This was a major over-hall for our apartment seeing as it's a small area. It ended up changing things in every area of the house but the kitchen! I've used it about 5 times now and am still adjusting things to be just right, but I am so excited to have the space and I love what it's done for the rest of the house too. :)

We're already in day 8 of 2013.  Are you on the right path to achieving your goals?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Opinions are like elbows, we all have them! I'd love to see yours! :-)